This 2week was by far the most difficult. In theory, it sounded great. It sounded deep, immersive and life changing. Exactly what a 2week should be.
But, it was exactly these elements that made it tedious and difficult. After the first three days of effort I began to lose it. I got up at 6:05 AM every morning to pray with Tom, but after that I lost track of time and found myself making up for the prayers in the last hours of the evening. I would get caught up in my life and totally space making time for the prayers. Or, when I did remember it, I was pressed for time to complete it. This was not the way I imagined the 2week working. Furthermore, when I sat down to pray I could not keep my mind from wandering- planning my day and thinking of other things. Perhaps this is mental weakness on my part. Either way, I failed miserably actualizing the goals of this 2week. Both in doing the prayers and keeping my mind in the right space.
If I learned anything it's the sheer commitment of doing something 5 times a day. I am in awe of devout Muslims who make this practice a daily ritual. To reaffirm your faith on a daily basis is one thing, and to do it 5 times a day is an astounding commitment. I only prayed for 5 minutes, while actual Salat takes much longer. Maybe it is easier when every one around you is also doing the same thing and you grew up doing it. Regardless, I am humbled by how much dedication this tradition takes and am glad I at least tried to experience it for a mere 2 weeks.
2week or 2weak?
Weakend
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment