No sugar for two weeks? Ahh, I’ve been living on an endless supply of chocolate and cake that pours in from my kindergarten job here in Taiwan! My first realization was that almost every meal or snack that I was accustom to eating had some form of sugar. Total dietary revamp and exploration of bland alternative was left to follow. In truth, I found much more enjoyment in food in this time, seeking out items not masked by this white, powdery, addictive “cane.” My mood and energy seemed to improve during this 2Week, and the cravings went away. I realized I really didn’t need much sugar, and that I feel much better without those bursts and crashes in energy.
The hardest part of the 2Week for me was social pressures for eating sugar. Try saying no to a friend who buys you a whiskey and Coke at a bar. You should have seen the sad look in little Evelyn’s eyes when I told her that I could not eat her birthday cake… or the sad look in my own eyes when I couldn’t eat any of the brownie cake made for my own birthday this week. Some people understood the project and some couldn’t grasp it. I had a few people try to convince me that I could get away with just one little bowl of ice cream, or that it would be “our little secret.” When people did this, I began to think about how unaccustomed people are to saying not to things.
From this 2Week, I felt like I was able to practice some self-control, and I think the exercising of it was good for me. Stick to your values! I also learned some about food processes and unexpected items that had sugar. Truth be told I needed to do more research than I did. Ketchup has sugar in it? What! I ended up consuming products that were not entirely free from sugar, and although I kept on truckin’, my consistent mistakes earned me a big fat Weakend. I will continue to keep a low sugar diet, and I feel like I know how to eat healthier too!
2Week or Too Weak?
Sadly, my first 2Week was a Weakend
No comments:
Post a Comment